When it comes to caring for a child’s hair there are a lot of things that come to mind. They are “tender headed”, they won’t keep still, they will cry and flinch or they will fall asleep while you are creating sometimes very intricate styles. In order to make their experience an ouch free and pleasant one, there are a couple of things you can do:
Create a hair treasure box. This can be a special bag, box, or case just for your child. Whether a boy or a girl, they both can have their own box with their own personal items to care for and style their hair.
What’s in the box?
- A spray bottle with water and a leave in mix or detangling solution, which serves as a conditioner in many cases
- A wide tooth comb for easy combing and a smaller tooth comb to detangle
- A soft bristle brush like a boar bristle brush
- Duck bill clips to hold sections of hair
- Hair oil
- Hair pomade or light gel
- Elastic bands
- Accessories: barrettes, clips, dillies, head bands
- Hand held mirror
You will also need to create a space for them to always have their hair done. This place is special just for them. It could be a favorite chair or large floor pillow. Also select a couple of movies they can watch and prepare some snacks for them. Often braided styles can take up to 2-3 hours unless extensions are being added, which can be a 4-6 hour deal. Just as adults get restless, children do as well. Take breaks each hour for pottying and snacks.